Ochozská jeskynĕ

Ochoz River Cave

Useful Information

Location: Near Ochoz.
(49.2443626, 16.7504311)
Open: closed.
Fee: closed.
Classification: SpeleologyKarst Cave Speleologyriver cave.
Light: bring torch
Dimension: L=1950 m.
Guided tours:
Photography: allowed
Accessibility: no
Bibliography: Emanuel Vlček (2001): Occurrence of mammalia relicts at site Ochoz Cave PANGAEA, Publishing Network for Geoscientific and Environmental Data. DOI
Emanuel Vlček (1969): Neandertaler der Tschechoslowakei Academia, Verl. d. Tschechoslowakischen Akademie d. Wissenschaften, 1969.
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.


1831 discovered.
1966 opened to the public.
1975 closed.


Ochozská jeskynĕ (Ochoz Cave) is named after nearby village Ochoz. This river cave is a former show cave, which is today closed for the public. But it is often mentioned in older tourist guides. But as it is a river cave, regular floods caused damage to the paths and required continual renovation of the cave. And finally the cave was given up and closed. Today there are only parts of the paths remaining and the light is destroyed. We have listed the cave, because there are still tourist guides which list this cave as a show cave, but it is definitely closed. The entrance is gated and it is accessible only for cavers with a permit.

A few years ago the cave was open twice a year on the open door day. Visitors should bring appropriate equipment, light is necessary, good shoes, old clothes, and if possible, a helmet with headlamp. As far as we know, they are offered by the local caving club which is responsible for the cave. As far as we know, it is very difficult for tourists to attend such an opening, mostly because they are published only in Czech. And of course the tours are only in Czech.

This cave seems to have been the place of excavations which revealed Neanderthal remains. The cave was discovered in 1831, but in 1900 additional passages were discovered. The already known part was then called Stará Ochozská jeskynĕ (Old Ochoz Cave) and the new passages Nová Ochozská jeskynĕ (New Ochoz Cave).