The site is located at the Czech/German border.
From germany B95, from Czech Republic 25, at turn off into the village Boží Dar/Gottesgrab. Follow road 2196 towards Ryžovna, at the pond Myslivna turn right onto Zlaty Kopec (Golden Hill). Some 4km on single lane road. 200m walk to the Service House where the guide waits. Signposted.
27-APR to MAY Mon, Thu, Sat 9:30, 12, Tue, Wed, Fri, Sun 9:30, 12, 14:30.
JUN to SEP Mon, Wed-Sat 9:30, 12, Tue, Sun 9:30, 12, 14:30.
Great Tour: 27-APR to MAY Mon, Thu, Sat 14:30.
JUN to SEP Mon, Wed-Sat 14:30.
Adults CZK 350, Children (8-15) CZK 250, Children (0-7) not allowed, Students CZK 250, Seniors (60+) CZK 250, Family (2+2) CZK 800.
Groups (6+): School Pupils CZK 200.
Great Tour: Adults CZK 490, Children (8-15) CZK 350, Children (0-7) not allowed, Students CZK 350, Seniors (60+) CZK 350, Family (2+2) CZK 1120.
Groups (6+): School Pupils CZK 280.
Buy tickets before visit online or at Tourist Office in Boží Dar.
|Classification:||Copper Mine Tin Mine|
Basic Tour: D=2.5h.
Great Tour: D=3.5h.
Štola Johannes, No. 1, 363 62 Boží Dar/Gottesgab, Tel: +420-603-539-020.
Tourist Office, Boží Dar 1, 362 62 Boží Dar, Tel: +420-603-539-020. E-mail:
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|16th cty||discovered and start of mining.|
|1716||rich copper veins discovered.|
|1820s||mining ended except for some minimal mining.|
|1959||exploration by the National Geological Institute of Czech Republic.|
|1967||exploration by the National Geological Institute of Czech Republic.|
|2013||Štola Johannes opened to the public.|
|2019||inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List.|
The Zlatý Kopec complex consists of two skarn horizons embedded in metamorphic rocks. It was formed by the intrusion of granite during the later stages of the Variscan orogeny. A number of ore‐rich horizons with sections of skarn were formed. Two of those ore bodies reach the surface here. The main horizon is of impressive size, 800m by 300m and 1.5m to 3m thick, in some places up to 9.5m thick. The main ore minerals are iron oxide (Fe3O4), chalcopyrite (CuFeS2), zinc sulphide (ZnS), tin (SnO2), arsenopyrite (FeAsS), arsenic trioxide, pyrite (FeS2), and pyrrhotite (FeS). The ores are mixed with quartz and fluorite. There are numerous interesting minerals found, like iron arsenide (FeAs2), helvite (Mn4[S(BeSiO4)3]), malayaite (CaSn[O|(SiO4)], greenockite (CdS), schoenfliesite, wickmanite, and natanite.
Štola Johannes (Johannes Adit) was named after Johann Thaddäus Anton Peithner von Lichtenfels. He was a mining and metallurgy expert and was born at Gottesgrab, became a mining professor in Banská Štiavnica and worked in the Czech Royal Mint. In 1762 he proposed the creation of the department of geology, mineralogy, mining and metallurgy at the University of Prague. This department was actually founded one year later by Maria Theresia and twas the first in the world. He published the book Versuch über die natürliche und politische Geschichte der böhmischen und mährischen Bergwerke (Attempt to Cover the Natural and Political History of Czech and Moravian Mines) in 1780 in Vienna.
The Kaff, the hills around the shaft which are today called Daremný in Czech, were mined since the 16th century. The mine was originally named Johannes Silbergang, due to rich copper veins discovered 1716 which also included 260 g/t of silver. Silbergang translates silver vein. The heyday of the mines was during the 18th and early 19th century. The main minerals mined were copper and tin, around 1750 the mine produced 400 kg of copper and 1700 kg of tin annually. The iron ore was mixed with zinc and copper and at that time it was not possible to separate them, so the iron ore was considered slack.
This is a Medieval mine, with narrow passages dug by hand using hammer and chisel. The ore was was transported by hand in small tubs, woven baskets, or a wheelbarrow. The windlass, which is shown after the underground tour, was used to lift the ore to the surface. Windlasses had a maximum reach of 60m and were used until the end of the 16th century.
There are two different tours offered, the longer one is the 14:30 tour on certain days of the week. The Basic Tour includes a 60min tour through the underground of the mine, a walk to the windlass and back to the Service House. The Great Tour has a much longer underground part of 2.5h, including a big chamber and a labyrinth of smaller chambers and shafts. At the end a 40m ladder ascent leads to the windlass. All tours are restricted to 10 persons, and are physically demanding. Some parts are quite narrow and not suitable for obese. Warm outdoor clothing, especially warm socks and walking boots or Wellingtons are strongly recommended. Visitors are provided with safety helmet with headlamp, raincoat and gloves. There is also a possibility to borrow Wellingtons. You will get dirty, so a towel and fresh clothes to change afterwards are a good idea.