From Abertamy follow 2193 north.
Tickets available online, at the Tourist Office in Boží Dar, in Abertamy, or on site.
MAY to SEP daily 10-17, tours at 10, 11:30, 13, 14:30, 16.
Adults CZK 150, Children (10-15) CZK 100, Children (0-9) not allowed, Students CZK 100, Seniors (60+) CZK 100, Family (2+2) CZK 350.
Groups (6+): School Pupils (5-15) CZK 80.
|Guided tours:||D=1h, L=400m.|
R. Günther (1857):
Die St. Mauritius-Zeche oder das Behrische Werk am Alten Hengst bei Abertham (Erzgebirge).
Manuscript, xx pp.
A. Chlupsa (1932): Gutachten über die St. Mauritius-Zeche in Hengstererben. xx pp. Helmuth A. Kolitsch (2011): Chronik von Hengstererben und die Geschichte der Familie Kolitsch. 2., erweiterte Aufl., Eigenverlag H. A. Kolitsch, Berlin, 150 S.
Montanregion Krušné hory – Erzgebirge, o.p.s. (Hrsg.) (2014): Denkmale des Bergbaus in der Montanregion Erzgebirge / Krušnohoří. 2014, Hřebečná – důl Mauritius / Hřebečná – Grube Mauritius, S. 42–43. online
|Address:||Důl Mauritius, Pohraničníků 32, 362 35 Abertamy, Tel: +420-608-205-940. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1545||begin of mining.|
|1945||exploration for Uranium failed, mine finally abandoned.|
|2008||begin of renovation.|
|MAY-2015||show mine opened to the public.|
Důl Mauritius (Mauritius mine) is the biggest tin mine in the Czech Ore Mountains. Originally named Beerische Zeche, it was renamed after a Saint during the counter reformation. The name was St. Maurizius-Schacht or Maurizius-Zeche, as German was spoken in this area. During its heydays the mine produced 60 tons of tin ore annually, which was sent to England for processing.
The visit shows the tunnels of the 16th century mining. The Štola Kryštof was renovated and is the way to the ore mining area, with several side tunnels and a huge chamber which was created by removing the ore. There are mining tools, explanatory signs and dioramas with miners in contemporary mining clothes. The tour explains the mining of the tunnels, the mining, transport and processing of the ore, and the ventilation of the mine.
The tour starts at the ticket office. A metal staircase goes down the shaft to the tunnel which is 12m lower. From here the tunnel is rather narrow but almost level. There are several side tunnels which were dug in the search for ore bodies. The big chamber at the end is actually the end of the tunnel but much bigger. It is between 4m and 9m wide, in average 15m high and reaches a height of 25m.
The tour is restricted to 12 persons, and is physically demanding. Some parts are quite narrow and not suitable for obese. Warm outdoor clothing, especially warm socks and walking boots or Wellingtons are strongly recommended. Visitors are provided with helmet with a headlamp, raincoat and gloves. There is also a possibility to borrow Wellingtons. You may get dirty, so a towel and fresh clothes to change afterwards are a good idea.