Bergbaumuseum Ronneburg


Useful Information

Location: Ronneburg, near Gera. A4 exit Gera-Leumnitz or Ronneburg, follow B7 to Ronneburg. Use parking lot of the Bogenbinderhalle, between Bahnhofstraße and Rosa-Luxemburg-Straße.
Materialschacht 407: 2 km south.
Open: Bergbaumuseum und Schaubergwerk: all year daily 10-18, last entry 17.
Materialschacht 407: after appointment.
Fee: Bergbaumuseum und Schaubergwerk: Adults EUR 3, Children (6-16) EUR 1.50, Children (0-5) free.
Groups (20+): Adults EUR 2, Children (6-16) EUR 1.
Materialschacht 407: Adults EUR 2, Children (6-16) EUR 1, Children (0-5) free.
Classification: MineUranium Mine
Light: LightIncandescent Electric Light System
Guided tours:  
Address: Informationszentrum Bogenbinderhalle, Zufahrt Rosa-Luxemburg-Straße, 07580 Ronneburg, Tel: +49-36602-44316.
Bergbauverein Ronneburg e.V., c/o: Ekkehard Riedl, Bachgasse 5, 07580 Ronneburg, Tel: +49-36602-65656. E-mail: contact
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.


1949 first exploration by Sowjet geologists.
1953 start of uranium mining by the SDAG Wismut.
1980 end of mine growth.
1990 uranium mining ended.
1991 begin of reclamation by the WISMUT GmbH.
1997 mines flooded.
2000 Expo on the former open cast.
05-JUN-2004 begin ofreclamation of the waste heaps.
2007 Bundesgartenschau on the former open cast.



In the Bogenbinderhalle the Bergbaumuseum Ronneburg is located, which is dedicated to the history of uranium mining. It is also called Informationszentrum der Stadt Ronneburg (information center of the town Ronneburg). Actually it is an artificial mine which was created in the cellar of the building. It shows machinery and tools from the abandoned mines, mostly mining technology of the 1950s. There is also a small exhibition on minerals and ores.