Besuchsbergwerk Teufelsgrund

Useful Information

Besuchsbergwerk Teufelsgrund. Public Domain.
Location: Mulden 71, 79244 Münstertal.
A5 exit 64a Bad Krotzingen, via Bad Krotzingen to Staufen im Breisgau, Münstertal, turn right to Rotenbuck, turn left to the mine, signposted.
(47.845038, 7.819655)
Open: APR to JUN Tue, Thu, Sat 10-16, Sun, Hol 13-16.
JUL to AUG Tue, Thu, Sat 10-16, Wed, Fri, Sun, Hol 13-16.
SEP to OKT Tue, Thu, Sat 10-16, Sun, Hol 13-16.
Fee: Adults EUR 6, Children (6-14) EUR 3,50, Gäste-Karte EUR 5, Families (2+2) EUR 17.
Groups (20+): Adults EUR 5.
Classification: MineSilver Mine MineLead Mine MineFluorite Mine ExplainSpeleotherapy
Light: LightIncandescent Electric Light System
Dimension: T=8 °C.
Guided tours: D=90 min, L=700 m.
Photography: allowed
Accessibility: yes
Address: Besuchsbergwerk Teufelsgrund, Mulden 71, 79244 Münstertal, Tel: +49-7636-1450. E-mail:
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.


953 first confirmed evidence of mining in the Münstertal.
1028 first documented mention, King Konrad II grants silver mines in Breisgau to the Bishop of Basel.
16th century yield gradually declines, mining ends after the 30 Years' War.
18th century monastery reopens the mine for lead mining.
1864 mine is closed.
1942 beginning of fluorspar mining.
1958 mining of fluorspar ends.
1968 "Teufelsgrund" mining district is acquired by the municipality of Münstertal.
1970 Exhibition mine opened as the first exhibition mine in the Black Forest.
1972 speleotherapy started.
2013 Bergbaufreunde Münstertal e.V. founded.
2020 Burglary in the mine.


In this area of the Mulde Valley and in the Lower Munster Valley there are several quartz-baryte-fluorite veins. They contain sulphide ores and siderite, calcite and ankerite as secondary rocks, as well as paragneiss and gangue porphyry. Their profitability is a consequence of their quite remarkable average thickness of 1.5 m.


Besuchsbergwerk Teufelsgrund. Public Domain.
Besuchsbergwerk Teufelsgrund. Public Domain.

The tour of the Besuchsbergwerk Teufelsgrund begins with a 10-minute video presentation about the history, geology and mining in Teufelsgrund. Then the 700 m tour of the mine begins. Quite unusual for an exhibition mine, the guided tour is wheelchair accessible. In addition to the normal guided tour, special tours are also offered, such as the treasure hunt for children. It is also possible to book the mine for a children's birthday party with a tour of the mine.

The mine was operated three times, and at each time something different was mined. In the early Middle Ages, silver was the most valuable metal, although other metals such as lead were also smelted. This is why it is called the Silver Age. The silver was smelted in furnaces in the city of Münster and minted into silver coins in Freiburg from 1120. On the one hand, mining came to an end due to increasing problems with water management and thus declining profitability. Then the Thirty Years' War, plague epidemics and wars of succession prevented regulated mining.

When it was reopened, lead had become more important in the meantime, silver had been replaced by gold in currencies and the price dropped. This is why we speak of the Lead Age. At first it was problematic because the political affiliation of Breisgau changed several times. In 1805, however, it was finally annexed to Baden with the Peace of Pressburg. Mining was resumed under state administration, and after 1833 it was continued by various private companies. The closure was the result of rising costs and cheaper competition from abroad.

And finally, the mine was reopened during the Second World War to mine fluorspar. In the Middle Ages fluorite was considered slag as there was no use for it, but in the meantime it had a certain value as an addition for steel production and for the production of hydrofluoric acid. This phase ended very soon, because the deposit was exhausted.

The mine was already acquired by the municipality in 1968 and developed into a show mine. At that time, there were already some very successful show mines in Germany, but nowhere near as many as today. The Black Forest was booming as a holiday region, and it was important to offer holidaymakers opportunities for leisure activities. So in 1970, the municipality opened the first show mine in the Black Forest.

Speleotherapy is offered in the Schindler tunnel.

A particularly curious thing happened in 2020 when the mine was broken into. Robbers dragged minerals and ores out of the mine in huge amount, and also caused considerable damage to the property. Finally, two teenage burglars were caught by the police at the Abbot Columban School. Photos on their smartphones proved that they were also the burglars in the mine.