Grube Wenzel


Useful Information

Location: Frohnbach 19, 77709 Oberwolfach.
A5 exit Offenburg 55, B33 to Hausach, B294 to Wolfach, turn left to Oberwolfach, turn left at church.
(48.3200203, 8.2053721)
Open: APR bis SEP Tue-Sun, Hol 11, 13, 15.
Additional tours after appointment.
[2026]
Fee: Adults EUR 11, Gästekarte EUR 10, School Pupils EUR 8,50, Students EUR 8,50, Disabled EUR 8,50.
Groups (10+): Adults EUR 9,50, School Pupils EUR 7,50.
[2026]
Classification: MineSilver Mine
Light: LightElectric Light
Dimension:
Guided tours: Entdecker-Tour: L=1,000 m, D=90 min.
Erlebnis-Tour: L=2,300 m, D=3h, Min=2, Max=5.
Photography: allowed
Accessibility: no
Bibliography: Gregor Markl (2005): Bergbau und Mineralienhandel im fürstenbergischen Kinzigtal: Wirtschafts- und Sammlungsgeschichte unter besonderer Berücksichtigung der Zeit zwischen 1700 und 1858 Markstein Verlag 2005. Deutsch - German
Address: Grube Wenzel, Frohnbach 19, 77709 Oberwolfach, Tel: +49-7834-868392. E-mail:
Tourist-Info Oberwolfach, Rathausstr. 1, 77709 Oberwolfach, Tel: +49-7834-838311. E-mail: contact
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.

History

1700 first written mention.
1760 Resumption of mining operations by the Fürstenberg mining clerk Kapf.
1765 St.-Wenzel-Gewerkschaft founded.
1767 main ore body reached.
1771 work started on the deep adit.
1772 main ore mined.
1818 deposit exhausted.
1823 end of mining.
1839-1842 unsuccessful investigation by the Badischen Generalbergwerksverein.
1938-1939 unsuccessful investigation.
1996 evaluation of the possibility of a show mine.
1997 Förderverein Besucherbergwerke founded.
1999 development as a show mine started.
2001 show mine opened to the public.
2015 after the dissolution of the association, the municipality of Oberwolfach operates the show mine.

Geology

Description

The Grube Wenzel (Wenzel Mine) was one of the most important mines in the Black Forest. A miners’ settlement is mentioned as early as 1397, though the mine itself is not. The mine is first mentioned in writing in 1700 in an investigation report by the Saxon mining master Siessen. At some point, however, it was apparently closed without yielding any significant output. Mining resumed in 1760 under the Fürstenberg mining clerk Kapf. In 1767, the main orebody was reached and, within five years, around three tonnes of silver were mined. Mining then continued at a lower level, and work on the deep adit began in 1771. Here, a further one tonne of silver, 400 kg of copper and 850 kg of lead-bearing ores were extracted. However, mining became increasingly difficult and yields steadily declined until operations were finally ceased in 1823.

An investigation carried out by the Badischer Generalbergwerksverein (Baden General Mining Association) between 1839 and 1842 failed to identify any ore deposits worth mining. However, a further 4.5 tonnes of ore were extracted during this process, yielding almost 23 kg of silver and 400 kg of lead.

The conversion of the disused mine into a show mine kept a number of locals busy for years. A visit to the mine with representatives from the Bergamt (Mining Authority) and the Oberwolfacher Bauhof (Oberwolfach Building Yard) provided an estimate of the work involved. The Förderverein Besucherbergwerke (Friends of the Show Mines Association) was founded, funded by state grants and contributions from the municipalities of Wolfach and Oberwolfach. A contract with the owner, the House of Fürstenberg, was signed in 1999, and work on the conversion could begin. The show mine was opened after just two years.

The standard tour is called the Explorer Tour and covers around 1,000 metres of the tunnels. Participants are provided with a helmet, head torch, Ostfriesennerz raincoat and rubber wellies. This makes the tour quite popular with children, although it does seem a bit over the top. It’s presumably intended to get participants in the right frame of mind for the mining experience. This tour does not require booking; it is offered three times a day at fixed times on all opening days. All other tours, however, require booking a few days in advance. An extended tour is the Adventure Tour, which lasts twice as long and includes tunnels at various levels. In addition, various events are held in the mine. The Connoisseur Tours are tastings of beer, wine or whisky. Children’s birthday parties are also available. Groups and school classes with specific interests can also book guided tours tailored to their needs.