|Location:||Rescheid near Hellenthal. A1 exit Blankenheim, B51 to Dahlem, turn right to Rescheid.|
|Open:||All year daily 11, 14, 15:30. First Thu in month 19. |
|Fee:||Adults EUR 5, Children (5-18) EUR 2.50, Children (0-4) free, Family EUR 12. |
|Dimension:||T=8°C. Tiefer Stollen: L=2.450m.|
Norbert Knauf, Karl Reger ():
Dem Eifeler Blei auf der Spur,
Heimatverein Rescheid, € 2,95.
|Address:||Heimatverein Rescheid e.V., Giescheid 36, D-53940 Hellenthal, Tel: +49-2448-911140, Fax: +49-2448-637. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1543||first written mention.|
|1839||concession by the industrial pioneer John Cockerill.|
|1847||concession by the honorary citizen of Aachen and foundr of the museum Barthold Suermondt.|
|1849||Suermondt founds the Commandit-Aktien-Gesellschaft von "Wohlfahrt und Glücksanfang".|
|1861||brewery owner and pensioner Bernhard August Wirtz buy the concession.|
|1877||leased to the english Continental Diamond Rock Boring Company Limited.|
|1885||mine Wohlfahrt empty and closed.|
|1893||mine Wohlfahrt and Schwalenbach connected, ore processing plant at Wohlfahrt reactivated.|
|1936||reopened by Felten & Guillaume Carlswerk AG.|
|03-OCT-1993||show mine opened.|
|OCT-1999||museum in the Grubenhaus inaugurated.|
The lead mine near Rescheid has a 2,000 years old history. The local lead ore is very rich and so it was very early possible to process it. The ore is located in clefts, deposited by hydro-thermal convections. The most common minerals are galena and marcasite. The surrounding rocks are Devonian slates, which contain fossils.
The visit of the mine starts at a building called Kaue, the old German miners term for changing room. The mine visitor get here their most important piece of equipment: a helmet. Now the Tiefer Stollen (deep adit) is entered. 800m of the 2,450m long tunnel is developed for the show mine.
A small side tunne is about 50cm wide and 90cm high. This is a historic tunnel from the 16th century. At this time such crawl tunnel were common, as they needed much less work.
The Astertgang is one of the ore bearing clefts. It is not very thick, so no huge space remain although it was mined almost completely.