|Location:||Near Steinau an der Straße, 3 km north at the road to Freiensteinau. From Fulda 35 km on highway B40, from Frankfurt on motorway A66 to Steinau. (48,Kc46)|
Good Friday to OCT Mon-Fri 13-17, Sat 13-19, Sun, Hol 10-19.
Adults EUR 2, Children EUR 1.50.
Groups (15+): Adults EUR 1.80, Children EUR 1.
|Classification:||Karst cave cave system, Unterer Muschelkalk (middle Triassic)|
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Dimension:||L=137 m, VR=18 m. BR: L=6 m, B=6 m, H=16 m.|
|Guided tours:||L=124 m, D=20 min., max. 20 pers, V=15,000/a .|
Heinrich Appel (o.J.):
Entstehung und Erforschung von Tropfsteinhöhlen
|Address:||Verkehrsbüro der Stadt Steinau an der Straße, Brüder Grimm Straße 47, 36396 Steinau a. d. Straße, Tel. +49-6663-9631-0 oder +49-6663-9631-33. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1584||cow caved in, doline discovered by the cowboy Jox Mellmann.|
|1830||Paper maker journeyman Walter from Steinau is the first who descends into the cave.|
|14-JUN-1898||Exploration by street builder Lüders, street keeper Methfessel and tiler master Scheer.|
|1905||Start of development, 50 m long entrance adit built.|
|11-NOV-1912||Foundation of the Verein zur Erschließung der Tropfsteinhöhle.|
|10-MAR-1924||declared a Naturschutzgebiet (natural park).|
|1952||reopened after World War II.|
|1998||additional room developed.|
The Teufelshöhle (Devils' Cave) is one of only three show caves in Hessen. It is very small, maybe the smallest show cave of Germany. The Dom (Dome) is the only big hall in the cave, the other parts are only narrow clefts. This hall was formed at the junction of several small passages. The reason for this strange morphology may be mixture corrosion.
The most interesting fact about this cave is its location. To the north lies the basaltic mountain Vogelsberg. To the south the Spessart and to the east the Rhön are both built of lower Triassic sandstones. Just here a small isolated area of middle Triassic limestones exists, which is karstified.
The cave was discovered after a cow fell into the opening of the Dom at the end of the 19th century. According to legend thats the origin of the name: the cowboy saw the cow vanishing into a hole in the ground. He thought it was grabbed aby the devil and eaten. So the locals avoided the cave for 250 years. During the 19th century, the cave was first explored. and the skull of an ape was found inside. But this was just a joke of the local pharmacist, who hid the scull here.
It is a 10 minutes walk from the parking lot at the road uphill to the cave. Disabled may drive up to the cave entrance. The road is a single line gravel road to the cave entrance.