|Location:||Weimar. Entrance near Liszt-Haus/Mensa of the Bauhaus-Universität (Bauhaus University).|
APR to OCT Tue-Sun 10-12, 13-18.
NOV to MAR Tue-Sun 10-12, 13-16.
Last entry 45 minutes before closing.
Adults EUR 3.50, Reduced EUR 2.50, School pupils EUR 1.50.
|Classification:||Sewage System World War II Bunker|
Walter Steiner (1996):
Die Parkhöhle von Weimar,
Abwasserstollen, Luftschutzkeller, Untertagemuseum.
Stiftung Weimarer Klassik, ISBN 3-7443-0118-4
|Address:||Parkhöhle Weimar, Marienstraße, Park an der Ilm, 99423 Weimar, Tel: +49-3643-545401, Fax: +49-3643-419816. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1794||Herzog Carl August assigns the construction of the adit.|
|1797||begin of sand mining.|
|1815||abandoned and forgotten.|
|1944-45||used as an air raid shelter.|
|1992||rediscovered and restaurated.|
|1999||opened for the public.|
The Parkhöhle (Park Cave) is located at the Ilm Park and obviously named after this location. The 500m long tunnel, 12m below ground, was constructed between 1794 and 1796 after an assignment of Herzog Carl August. It was needed for a brewery, which was a sort of hobby of the Herzog. However, there are numerous websites telling it was intended to store beer. That is obviously not true, it makes no sense to build a 500m long and narrow tunnel for this purpose. A few cellar vaults would do the same trick without the need to walk a kilometer to fetch a barrel of beer. The tunnel was actually an adit, a drainage tunnel which should allow waste water from the brewery to flow to the Ilm.
The tunnel was never used as an adit, as the brewery was never built and never produced beer. Between 1797 and 1815 the tunnel was used to mine sand and gravel with the room and pilar method. As a result a huge labyrinth of vaults and passages existed around the tunnel. When it was abandoned it was forgotten and fell in disrepair. The tunnel was reopened and cleaned during World War II, and used as an air raid shelter. Because of its depth of 12m it was very safe, other cities had to use the cellars of houses and many people died after the house had collapsed on top of them. But after the war the tunnel was closed and almost forgotten.
The Parkhöhle is located between the slope of the river Ilm valley and the Belvederer Allee. The entrance is located close to the Liszt-Museum, the other end is at the Nadelöhr (eye of the needle), an artificially created "natural" bridge. There is an underground exhibition explaining the geology and the history of the "cave". This exhibition also makes clear that it is not a cav, although it is named so, because it is of artificial origin.
The rock in which the Parkhöhle is located is travertine or tufa, limestone deposited by a limestone rich spring. It is full of holes and the imprints of plants. The geologic specialty was a reason why this tunnel was often visited by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, who lived i Weimar.