| Location: |
Katzenkopf, 54666 Irrel.
(49.8516225, 6.4536148) |
| Open: |
APR to 03-OCT Sun, Hol 14-17. [2026] |
| Fee: |
Adults EUR 4, Children (0-16) EUR 1. Groups: Per Group EUR 40, Adults EUR 4, Children (0-16) EUR 1. [2026] |
| Classification: |
World War II Bunker
Westwall
|
| Light: |
Electric Light
|
| Dimension: | T=10 °C. |
| Guided tours: | |
| Photography: | |
| Accessibility: | |
| Bibliography: | |
| Address: |
Westwallmuseum Panzerwerk "Katzenkopf", Katzenkopf, 54666 Irrel, Tel: +49-6525-492.
E-mail: |
| As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then. Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info. |
|
| 1937 | start of construction. |
| 1939 | completed. |
| JUL-1976 | excavated by the Freiwillige Feuerwehr Irrel. |
| 1979 | inauguration. |
The Westwallmuseum Irrel (Siegfried Line Museum Irrel) is situated in the Eifel region, near the German-Luxembourg border. It is housed in a bunker from the former Westwall known as the Panzerwerk Katzenkopf, which was built between 1937 and 1939. It was constructed, along with several other such forts, to secure the main Cologne–Luxembourg road. It is the northernmost tank fortification of the Westwall.
The Panzerwerk "Katzenkopf" is a B-Werk-type bunker with a raised armoured turret featuring six embrasures and a tunnel system. The B-Werks were the largest and best-equipped bunker complexes on the Westwall, there were 32 of them in total. The name is simply an abbreviation of the thickness of the structure; ‘B’ denotes a wall and ceiling thickness of 1.5 m. For this reason, this name was avoided in public to prevent the enemy from gaining any indication of the structures’ thickness. Instead, a proper name was chosen, usually the name of an animal or a local place name, such as ‘Katzenkopf’ in this case.
The bunker was of considerable size; the upper storeys alone contained a total of 45 rooms of various sizes. These were the quarters for the 84-strong crew. But the upper storeys also housed guard rooms, combat and observation rooms, a medical area, toilets and washrooms, ammunition stores, a storeroom, a kitchen, a communications centre and a power station. On the lower level of the complex are two tunnels with a total length of 138 m. One connects to the detached six-embrasure armoured turret. The second leads to the well chamber, the bunker’s own water supply.
The power station had two generators powered by diesel engines. The electricity generated was used to power over 60 electric motors for fans and water pumps, as well as the electric heating system. The lighting was also electrically powered.
The bunker was equipped with various weapon systems. There were two armoured turrets, each with six embrasures and fitted with two sMG 34 machine guns. Inside the bunker itself, there were fortification flamethrowers and automatic grenade launchers. The complex also had an artillery observation tower and an infantry observation tower for all-round surveillance and fire control.
Like many other military installations, the bunker was blown up by the Allies in 1947. The French occupying forces at the time destroyed the upper storey and subsequently filled in the bunker. After that, it was no longer accessible and was forgotten for decades. The 39th Infantry Regiment from Düsseldorf was stationed here and held a reunion here in 1976. On this occasion, the idea arose to make the bunker accessible again and to reopen it as a museum dedicated to the history of the Westwall. In July 1976, the Irrel Volunteer Fire Brigade began working on a voluntary basis and without remuneration to open up the bunker, stabilise it and set up the museum. A memorial was erected above ground to honour the regiment’s more than 4,000 fallen and missing soldiers.