|Location:||Todoque, Los Llanos de Aridane|
Visitor Center: all year daily.
Cave tour: After appointment.
Visitor Center: free.
Cave tour: Adults EUR 22.
Todoque I: L=560m, A=564m asl.
Todoque II: L=157m, A=485m asl.
|Address:||Cueva de Las Palomas, Carr. El Hoyo Todoque, 38759 Santa Cruz de Tenerife|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|08-JUL-1949||eruption of the volcano San Juan.|
|26-JUL-1949||end of eruption, numerous new lava tubes formed.|
|1987||cave surveyed and named Cueva de Todoque.|
|24-DEC-1994||caves declared a Natural Monument.|
|2009||wrong name Cueva de Todoque corrected to Cueva de las Palomas.|
|2017||Centro de interpretation de las cavidades volcanicas Canos de Fuege erected.|
|2018||Centro de interpretation de las cavidades volcanicas Canos de Fuege opened to the public.|
The Cueva de las Palomas (Cave of the Pigeons) was formed in 1949 during an eruption of the volcano San Juan. The eruption produced a lava field which is 6km by 3.5km in size with numerous lava tubes. There are at least 12 lava tubes, but Cueva de las Palomas is the longest with more than 500m. It was originally longer, but the construction of the road LP-211 cut it into two pieces. On the other side is a another part named Cueva de Todoque II which is 150m long the original cave was 720m long. Still not the longest lava tube on Las Palmas, the Cueva Honda del Bejenado is the longest of over 100 lava tubes with 1,362m.
This lava tube is very young, but it already has some history. Used for dead animals, destroyed by a road, full of pigeons, hence the name. This name seems to have been quite some problem. When the government sent surveyers in 1987, they invented names for all caves, but did not ask the locals if the caves already had a name. Obviously a behaviour the locals know for years but still despise. Later the cave was entered into the list of Natural Monuments with the wrong name and it took until 2009 until the name was corrected.
The newest development is the erection of the Centro de interpretation de las cavidades volcanicas Canos de Fuege Visitor Center. It was opened to the public in 2018 and offers a museum, elevated trails across the lava fields, a short lava tube named El Vidrio under the building, which can be visited. There is also a trail to the entrance of the Cueva de las Palomas and guided tours into this cave. Currently the tours are operated by three tour operators and the number of participants is strongly restricted. Those tours are more or less cave trekking tours, although the cave does not require special skills and there is only one drop at the entrance which is equipped with a staircase. Currently all tours are in Spanish language. In the near future the center will offer the cave tours directly, but the details are not published yet. If you are interested search for the tour on civitatis.com, see link below.