Grottes de Saint Antoine

Grottes de St-Antoine de Padoue

Useful Information

Location: Brive-la-Gaillarde.
(45.146172, 1.531111)
Open: Park and Cave: no restrictions.
Church: all year daily 7:30-20.
Fee: free.
Classification: SubterraneaCave Church
Light: LightIncandescent Electric Light System
Guided tours: self guided
Photography: allowed
Accessibility: yes
Address: Grottes de Saint Antoine, 41 avenue Edmond Michelet, 19100 Brive la Gaillarde, Tel: +33-555-241060. E-mail:
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.


OCT-1226 Saint Antoine stops at this cave and meditates.
13th century a small hermitage was built on the spot and one of the caves converted into an oratory.
1463 King Louis XI, returning from Rocamadour, comes to worship there.
1565 the guardians of the place, two minor brothers, are massacred for their faith in the Eucharist
1670 mentioned in the book The delights of France as a place where God performs many miracles.
1791 sold at auction, but the pilgrims continue to come.
1874 bought by a local priest and returned to the Franciscans, the pilgrimage was officially reopened.
1895 new sanctuary consecrated.


The Grottes de St-Antoine de Padoue (Caves of Saint Anthony from Padua) are actually a single huge cavern, a former limestone quarry, which was transformed into a catholic church during the Middle Ages. Later a new church was built on top of the rock which has the same name. But the cave church still exists and is a consecrated church which is open to visitors daily. There is a guided tour once a week, which is held by one of the monks which operate the site.

The Franciscan Saint Antoine stayed here for some time at the end of October 1226. After he died in Padua he was called St-Antoine de Padoue and became one of the most popular saints. His veneration is also explained with the song "Si quaeris miracula" better known as "Sequeri", composed by brother Julien de Spire in 1233. People started to come to this place to be close to him, so the pilgrimages started. The sanctuary is maintained by Franciscan friars who also offer a hotel with 25 rooms, modular meeting rooms and catering.