Pennerley, Shrewsbury SY5 0NB
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Address:||Tankerville Mine, Pennerley, Shrewsbury SY5 0NB|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1830s||first mining under the name Ovenpipe.|
|1870||renamed Tankerville in honour of Lord Tankerville who owned the mineral rights and most of the land.|
|1890s||mine closed and all the machinery sold off.|
|1996||acquired by the Shropshire Mines Trust.|
The Tankerville Mine was opened in the 1830s under the name Ovenpipe. It was renamed in 1870 in honour of Lord Tankerville who owned the mineral rights and most of the land. It was very productive and profitable, especially compared with most of the mines in this area. But when the lead ore begun to run out and the value of the mined ore dropped the mine was closed. In the 1890s all the machinery was sold off. At the end the mine was 515 m deep, which made it the deepest mine in this area.
The Watson’s Engine House accommodated a steam engine that was used for pumping and raising the ore. Nearby Watson’s Shaft is grilled. During the exploration it was entered and a rubble pile some 45 m below ground was blocking the way. In 2013 the rubble pile had disappeared and water could be seen. The theory is that the rubble was sitting on a wooden platform which collapsed. Fortunately this did not happen during the exploration.
While this is a However the site is quite dangerous and there is no underground tour.