Magyar Olaj- és Gázipari Múzeum

Hungarian Oil and Gas Museum - Magyar Olajipari Muzeum


Useful Information

Location: Falumúzeum u., 8900 Zalaegerszeg.
(46.850387, 16.827509)
Open: Open Air Museum:
APR to OCT Tue-Sun, Hol 10-18.
Wlassics Gyula:
All year Mon-Fri 8-16.
[2022]
Fee: Open Air Museum:
Adults HUF 1,000, Children HUF 500, Children (0-) free, Students HUF 500, Seniors HUF 500, Family (2+2) HUF 2,000, Photo Permit HUF 1,000.
Groups (8+): Adults HUF 800, Children HUF 250.
Wlassics Gyula:
Groups (10-20): Adults HUF 700, Children HUF 300.
Groups (21+) Adults HUF 350, Children HUF 250.
[2022]
Classification: MineCrude Oil
Light: LightIncandescent Electric Light System
Dimension:  
Guided tours: self guided
Photography: with permit
Accessibility: yes
Bibliography:  
Address: Magyar Olaj- és Gázipari Múzeum, Wlassics Gyula u. 13, 8900 Zalaegerszeg, Tel: +36-92-313-632. E-mail:
Budafaluus Program Office, Sport u. 1., 8887 Bázakerettye, Tel: +36-30-320-3803. E-mail:
Göcsej Falumúszeum, Falumúzeum u., 8900 Zalaegerszeg, Tel: +36-92-703-295. E-mail:
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.

History

1937 end of oil production at this site.
AUG-1968 Göcsej Village Museum opened to the public.
1969 Hungarian Oil and Gas Museum founded.
1991 MOGIM Alapítvány (MOGIM Foundation) founded.
1993 takes over the Vilmos Zsigmondy Collection.
25-MAY-2OO1 museum opened in the BT-2 measuring station building.
21-SEP-2OO6 Ernő Buda exhibition opened.

Geology


Description

Magyar Olaj- és Gázipari Múzeum (Hungarian Oil and Gas Museum) is an open air museum dedicated to the Hugarian oil mining. Actually there are two open air museums, the second is the Göcsej Falumúszeum (Göcsej Village Museum), an ethnographic open air museum. They are both visited together, there is only one entrance fee for both. The Oil and Gas Museum has three parts, a museum, an open air section with drilling tower and other plants, and a sculpture park at the open air museum. This place is known as the cradle of Hungarian oil mining, the oil field is named Bázakeretty.

The museum has numerous sections about quite different aspects of oil mining. One part is dedicated to the drilling and pumping with modells, another to the history of oil and gas transportation.

The outdoor area has a lot of large-scale equipment related to the exploration of hydrocarbons. The sections are drilling of oil wells, oil production, transport, and the processing of hydrocarbons. The geophysical measuring trolleys and the shallow drilling rig are used for research and prospection. There is complete drilling rig, with drilling motors, auger lines, breakout inhibitors and rinsing heads. Some equipment for well completion and well repair work is on display. The important task of collecting data during drilling has a separate exhibition. The production of oil generallx means pumping, so there are pumping stations, like deep pump pendulums, wellhead assemblies, and separators. The transportation section has a gas transfer station and compressors. The processing industry section shows a distillation tower, filter presses, machine grease production equipment, heat exchangers, boilers, and pumps.

The ROTARY-1, the first steam-powered rotary drilling rig of the Hungarian oil mining industry, was in operation between 1935 and 1954. It drilled a total of 162 wells, with a total length of 210,295 m, during 19 years of operation. The drilling rig is a 41.5 m high lattice tower on four concrete pillars. Two GUMBO BUSTER steam engines powered the drilling equipment. On the wellhead a blowout preventer was intended to avoid the spectacular but rather messy gusher.

The exhibitions dedicated to the most important Hungarians in this field is located about 2.5 km to the east, at the other end of town. Ernő Buda was a mining engineer. Dr. Simon Papp, a geologist, university professor and academician who can be honored as the founder of industrial-scale hydrocarbon mining in Hungary. Ans there is the Zsigmondy Memorial Room about two brothers named Zsigmondy. The exhibitions contain photos and documents, diplomas, commemorative cards and commemorative medals, but also personal objects. This part of the museum is located at the Wlassics Gyula u. 13 and open only for groups after appointment.

Another site which belongs to the oil museum is the Lt-3 tankállomás (LT-3 service station) in nearby Lovászi. It is a gas filling station, where the gas from 40 wells was collected and filled into tanks. The site is open only after prior arrangement with a guided tour in Hungarian.

The museum is operated by the MOGIM Alapítvány (MOGIM Foundation). It was founded by the Országos Kőolaj- és Gázipari Tröszt (National Petroleum and Gas Trust), the Magyar Szénhidrogénipari Kutató-Fejlesztő Intézet (Hungarian Hydrocarbon Research and Development Institute), and the Budapest Bank Rt. (Budapest Bank Ltd.).