Dorf 29a, 39013 Moos in Passeier.
APR to OCT Tue-Sun, last entry 16.
Adults EUR 12, Children EUR 5, Students EUR 5, Disabled EUR 5, Seniors EUR 10, Locals EUR 10, Families EUR 20.
Groups (10+): Adults EUR 7.
|Classification:||World War II Bunker|
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Guided tours:||self guided|
|Address:||MuseumHinterPasseier, Museumstraße 16, I-39013 Moos in Passeier, Tel: +39-0473-648529, Fax: +39-0473-648703. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1938||start of construction of the bunker.|
|1942||construction work on the bunkers stopped unfinished, they were never put into operation.|
|NOV-2016||Verein MuseumHinterPasseier founded.|
Bunker Mooseum is a German wordplay, the German name of the village is Moos, and so Mooseum contains the name of the village and sounds like museum. It is called a bunker museum and located inside a bunker which was built in 1938 as part of the Vallo Alpino del Littorio, the Italian fascist alpine wall intended to protect the border to the Deutsches Reich (German Empire). There are a total of six bunkers in Hinterpasseier which were designed as the first line of defence against the Timmelsjoch. This one was called Opera 3 – Sbarramento di Moso (Section 3 - Moso Barrier). Multiple purposes were planned for this bunker, to fortify the machine gun emplacements, protection for the crew of the barracks in Moos and as a command bunker to coordinate the other five installations. For this purpose a considerable tunnel for storage rooms and accommodation was blasted into the rock. Higher up three MG posts were protected by a seven-metre-thick concrete bunker head. The two levels were connected by a 25 m deep shaft with a spiral staircase.
The bunker was transformed into a museum, a modern building was erected in front of the cliff, with a glas bridge to the tunnel in the cliff face. The tunnel is an underground museum, then the visitors climb the spiral staircase and reach a viewing platform at the bunker head with the MG positions. Next stop is the Alpine Ibex enclosure. Then the visitors return to the ground down a long staircase in front of the cliff. At the end of the staircase is a geological sight, a glacial mill. This outdoor section is the reason why rain protection and sturdy shoes are required in rainy weather.
The museum has several local topics, one of them is the history of the bunker itself. Other topics are the Texel Group Nature Park, the Schneeberg, the ibex enclosure, lake Kummersee, and archaeology. The general subject of the museum are nature and history of the Hinterpasseier.
Another topic which is related to showcaves.com is the Infostelle Schneeberg, a visitor center for the historical mining on the Schneeberg. We have listed this mine which is high up in the mountain, it is the highest mine in Europe. The former miners' settlement with showroom and mine site, as well as the lodge, are accessible only during the summer months by foot from here or from the Paseier valley on the other side of the mountain ridge. There is another visitor center in this valley.