Guided tours: after appointment.
Guided tours: Adults SEK 30.
|Guided tours:||self guided|
Stollbergs Gruvor, Leea Eriksson, Tel: +46-240-72294.
Ludvika Smedjebacken Turism, Fredsgatan 10, 77182 Ludvika, Tel: +46-240-86050, Fax: +46-240-80354. E-mail:
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1354||Stollberg mine first mentioned in the Royal Charter proclaimed by King Magnus Eriksson.|
|1552||start of silver mining by the crown.|
|17th cty||mine leased to noblemen.|
|1754||silver mining ended.|
|1880s||mining of lead and zinc ore.|
|1918||mining of limonite ore.|
Stollbergs gruvor (Stollberg mine) is located northeast of Ludvika on the Väster Silfberg (Silver mountain). The mining field streches for 8 km from Silfhyttan in the south to Shisshyttan in the north. Center is the enormous open cast mine Biskopsberget on top of the hill, which is today called Väster Silvberg mine. This pit is so deep, the bottom is pretty dark and almost invincible, so it was once said a view down was like looking into the doors of hell. This is the center of the Stollberg mine, some years ago developed by the friends of the Väster Silvberg mine, a non profit club of local mining enthusiasts. They built a lookout tower in the design of a pithead at the rim of the open cast mine.
During its operation, various metals were mined here. The mine was first mentioned in the Royal Charter proclaimed by King Magnus Eriksson in 1354. This charter gives certain rights to homesteaders in Norberg and smelting-house owners in Silferberget. At this time the miners were looking mostly for iron ore. In 1552 the mining of silver by the Crown started. Still most of the production was iron, but the silver was important because of its high value. About a century later the mine was leased to a number of noblemen. Investments into machinery and new mining equipment boosted the production. But the dark side was the story were the bad working conditions. Count Jacob de la Gardie forced Russian prisoners of war to work in the mines. As a result the cemetery is today called Russian Cemetery.
In 1754 the mines were taken over by Jenning & Finlay. They concentrated again on iron ores for their furnaces. At the end of the 19th century lead and zinc became important and were primarly mined. The last change happened in 1918, when the mining again switched to iron, but this time limonite was mined.
The visit to this mine is self guided, there is a marked path leading to the lookout tower and other mining related stops marked with plates. It is possible to collect minerals too. On certain days during the summer guided tours are available, ask the tourist information for details. Every year in June an old fashioned market is held here. On certain occasions the play The Fight over the Silver is performed, which is based on a true story from the 17th century. After the play traditional food is served.