Banícke múzeum Rožňava

Mining Museum Roznava

Useful Information

Location: Rožňava (N48°39'17'' E20°31'46'')
Open: Historical Exposition: All year Mon-Fri 9-12, 13-17.
SENTINEL: All year Tue-Sat 9-17.
Exposition of Nature of Slovak Karst and Surrounding Areas: All year Tue-Sat 9-17.
Gallery: All year Mon-Fri 9-12, 13-17.
Andrássy Picture Gallery: MAY to SEP Wed-Sun 9-17.
Fee: Historical Exposition: Adults EUR 2, Children (0-5) EUR 0.50, Students EUR 1, Seniors EUR 1, Disabled EUR 1.
SENTINEL: Adults EUR 7, Students EUR 3,50, Seniors EUR 3,50, Disabled EUR 3,50, Family (2+2) EUR 16.
Exposition of Nature of Slovak Karst and Surrounding Areas: Adults EUR 2, Children (0-5) EUR 0.50, Students EUR 1, Seniors EUR 1, Disabled EUR 1.
Gallery: Adults EUR 1,20, Students EUR 0,60, Seniors EUR 0,60, Disabled EUR 0,60, Family (2+2) EUR 2,50.
Andrássy Picture Gallery: Adults EUR 1, Students EUR 0,50, Seniors EUR 0,50, Disabled EUR 0,50.
Classification: SubterraneaMining Museum SubterraneaCave and Karst Museum
Light: LightIncandescent Electric Light System
Guided tours:  
Photography: allowed
Accessibility: partly
Address: Banícke múzeum Rožňava, Šafárikova 31, 048 01 Rožňava, Tel: +421-58-734-3710, Fax: +421-58-788-1122. E-mail:
Museum and Discovery Centre SENTINEL, Šafárikova 43, 048 01 Rožňava, Tel: +421-58-734-4098. E-mail:
Exposition of Nature of Slovak Karst and Surrounding Areas, Šafárikova 43, 048 01 Rožňava Tel: +421-58-734-4098.
Gallery, Námestie baníkov 25, 048 01 Rožňava, Tel: +421-58-732-3041. E-mail:
Andrássy Picture Gallery, Lipová 122, 04941 Krasnohorské Podhradie, Tel: +421-58-732-4238. E-mail:
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.


1902 Mining Museum in Rožňava founded.
1905 museum building completed and collections installed.
1912 first opened to the public.
1938 city museum and mining museum merged.
01-AUG-1943 museum reopened.
01-NOV-1943 museum closed due to World War II, part of the collection stolen.
1956 building restored due to the intervention of the Czechoslovak Union of Museums and reopened as a museum.
1974-1985 museum expanded.
1981 Nature of the Slovak Karst and Adjacent Areas exhibition opened.
1982 Mining Workplaces exhibition created.
1989 Exhibition of Fine Arts installed.
1995 Gemera Exhibition of Mining and Metallurgy reopened.
2015-2017 SENTINEL Adventure Center created.



The Banícke múzeum Rožňava (BANM) is the name of a set of museums located at Rožňava, with exhibitions about history, mining, natural history and nature protection. The museum exists a long time and always had a wealth of impressive exhibits, but during the last twenty years several parts were thoroughly restored and extendedn. The museum was founded in 1902 by the director of the mines at Železník, Gustáv Eisele. It was supported by the Boršodsko-gemerskej skupiny Krajinskej uhorskej baníckej a hutníckej spoločnosti (Boršod-Gemer Group of the Regional Hungarian Mining and Metallurgical Company), the town of Rožňava and financial donations from Františka and Dionýz Andrássy.

The Expozícia baníctva a hutníctva Gemera (Exposition of Mining and Metallurgy of Gemer Region) is located in the oldest building in Central Europe which was purpose-built as a mining and metallurgy museum. It displays the mining history of Gemer from the earliest times up to the present day. Exhibits are original working tools, transport and loading equipment, and measuring and lighting devices used in mining. A central exhibit is the Rožňava Mettercia, a copy of the medieval panel painting from 1513. And there are exhibits on the development of culture and everyday life of miners.

The traditional mining exhibition was extended by a new exhibition named Zážitkové centrum SENTINEL (SENTINEL Experience Center). It is an interactive exhibition with multimedia touchscreen, hands-on exhibits and even a working mine elevator. SENTINEL has the three permanent exhibitions Museum and Discovery Centre Sentinel, Steam Time, and A Miner's Workplace. Steam Time has two unique collection objects, a steam automobile Škoda Sentinel, one of three still existing, and a steam Aveling & Porter roller from 1883, the third oldest steam roller in the world. A Miner's Workplace shows machinery of the 20th century which was used at the rockface, the place where iron ore and magnesite were mined. It is completed by temporary exhibitions and special events.

The Expozícia prírody Slovenského krasu a priľahlých oblastí (Exposition of Nature of Slovak Karst and Surrounding Areas) is located in the Františka´s Asylum, a former shelter for the poor built in 1904. It is dedicated to the geology, but also to the flora and fauna, of the UNESCO World Heritage listed Slovak Karst. The geologic part explains the formation of the limestone, the geological structure of Spiš-Gemer Ore Mountains and the Slovak Karst, and the minerals which can be found there. Obviously karstification, caves and other karst features are a main topic.

The Galéria (Gallery) is used for exhibitions, creative workshops, museum-pedagogical lessons, discussions, and art exhibitions. It is located in burgher's house, which originates from the end of the 15th century.

The Andrássyho obrazáreň (Andrássy Picture Gallery) is located in the town Krásnohorský Podhrad. The building was errected from 1908 to 1909 by Dionýz Andrássy, then the owner of the Krasnohorské estate. He was the owner of a valuable collection of fine art and the building was intended to house this collection. The building was damaged in World War II and later used for various purposes. but since 1967 it was owned by the Mining Museum. And after various restorations it was finally used as an art museum again since 1990, and as Dionýz Andrássys collection is lost it houses seasonal exhibitions.

About five minutes walk along the road to Safárikovo, go in the second of the two museum buildings. The museum is run by a lively retired Hungarian miner who does his best to make up for the lack of information in English. Ask to see the spotlessly clean mine shaft at the rear of the building.

Next to it is a cast iron statue of the Hungarian national hero Kossuth with the traditional miners' greeting Zdar Boh or Good Luck!

Text by Tony Oldham (2002). With kind permission.