|Image: ascent into the castle of the giants.|
|Location:||A3 exit Höchstadt-Ost, A9 exit Pegnitz, A73 exit Forchheim-Süd. On the B470 to Behringersmühle, towards Waischenfeld up the Wisenttal (Wiesent valley). Parking at the road, signposted. (58,Mc50)|
|Classification:||Karst cave, cave ruin, dolomite.|
|Dimension:||P: L=30m, B=12m, H=9m.|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|Image: historic engraving.|
|1828||area developed as a rock labyrinth by the creation of paths and bridges, by order of Earl Erwin von Schönborn.|
|1902||description of the cave by Adalbert Neischel.|
|1902||pen-and.ink drawing of the cave by F. Bär.|
The name Riesenburg (Castle of Giants) is result of the impressive view up into the rocks of the former cave, when walking up to the cave. In former times the cave was also called Geißkirche (goat church) or Geißloch (goat hole). A massive cliff of dolomite is honeycombed with small caves, forming lookouts and natural bridges. The cave may also be interpreted as the cross section through a Doline, as it was formed by the collapse of a huge cavern.