14 km south of Wernigerode. From Wernigerode F244 to Elbingerode, turn left, F27 to Rübeland, in the village at the main road.
JAN daily 9-15:30.
FEB to JUN daily 9-16:30.
JUL to AUG daily 9-17:30.
SEP to OCT daily 9-16:30.
NOV to DEC daily 9-15:30.
One of the caves closed for renovation every year during the winter months (NOV to APR).
End time is time of last tour.
Adults EUR 7, Children (4-16) EUR 4.50, Children (0-3) free, Family (2+3) EUR 20.
Groups (20+): Adults EUR 6.50, Children (4-16) EUR 4.
Combiticket 2 caves or 1 cave + Schaubergwerk Büchenberg:
Adults EUR 12, Children (4-16) EUR 7.50, Children (0-3) free, Family (2+3) EUR 32.
Groups (20+): Adults EUR 11, Children (4-16) EUR 6.50.
|Classification:||Karst cave partly marble, horizontal cave, Lower Devon|
L=1,950 m. A=378 m asl.
GR: L=64 m, B=55 m, H=9 m.
|Guided tours:||L=1,000 m, D=50 min, V=100,000/a .|
|Accessibility:||many stairs, not wheelchair accessible|
Rübeland im Harz, Baumannshöhle, Hermannshöhle.
Hrsg: Verwaltung der Tropfsteinhöhlen.
Manfred Oelsner: Stadtführer Wernigerode, VEB Tourist Verlag Berlin, Lepzig.
Friedrich Christian Lesser (1735): Anmerckungen von der Baumanns-Höhle, wie er sie selbst Anno 1734, den 21. May befunden, Nordhausen, 1735. DOI pdf
|Address:||Rübeländer Tropfsteinhöhlen, Tourismusbetrieb der Stadt Elbingerode (Harz), Blankenburgstraße 35, 38889 Rübeland, Tel: +49-39454-49132, Fax: +49-39454-53475. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|15. Jh||discovered by a miner named Baumann.|
|1565||mentioned the firdt time.|
|1646||organized guided tours.|
|1658||first cave map.|
|APR-1668||Hans Jürgen Becker becomes the first authorized cave guide of the world.|
|28-JUL-1692||Two sisters-in-law, both Mrs. Meyer, are the first female cave visitors ever known by name.|
|1777||visited by Goethe.|
|1783||visited by Goethe.|
|1784||visited by Goethe.|
|1887||systematic research by the TU Braunschweig.|
Baumannshöhle (Baumanns Cave) is named after a miner called Baumann. He is said to be the discoverer of the cave. In the 15th century he was digging in the area, when he cut into the cave. But this discovery brought no luck: legend has it that he got lost when he explored the cave, and he needed several days to find out. When he finally reached daylight, he told the people about the cave and then died of fatigue. The Harz mountains are an area of long history and many legends and myths. But the story of this discovery was invented during the Nazi era, and is today widely believed. Even the guides tell it until today.
Despite the untrue discovery legend, the cave was known for many centuries. Because it was discovered so early, and because of its size, it was very famous during the 17th and 18th century. A visit of this cave and a walk to the summit of the Brocken were a must for every Harz journey. This cave was visited by Heinrich Heine who wrote a description. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe visited the cave several times. To his honour the biggest chamber was named Goethesaal.
This cave is a very old show cave, not the oldest, but it was the very first with an official tour guide. In April 1668 Hans Jürgen Becker was authorized by a document as first tour guide for this cave.
The Goethesaal is developed with seats and a stage, which allows underground plays. The stage is surrounded by stalagmites, so there are mostly fairy tales on the schedule. The room seats more than 1000 visitors. Some years ago regular performances were held by the Städtische Bühnen Quedlinburg. But at the moment there are no shows anymore.
A typical thing for east German caves: all tours are photographed. On a stair in a bigger room the group stops and a photographer takes a picture. Years ago the pictures were payed at the cave exit and then sent by mail a few days later, today the digital picture is printed on glossy paper and waits for the visitor at the exit.