|Location:||40km northwest of Ulm. From Ulm 39km on the B28, then 7km B465 to turnoff Schopfloch. From A8 exit Kirchheim/Teck ~15km B465 to turnoff Schopfloch. Through Schopfloch, at the city limits turn left to Krebsstein. Parking at the road Schopfloch-Krebsstein, 15 min walk to the caves. (74,Kd57)|
MAY to OCT Sat 13-16, Sun, Hol 10-16, closed on days with bad weather.
Additional times after appointment.
Adults EUR 3.50, Children (4-16) EUR 1.50.
Groups (15+): Adults EUR 2.30, Children (4-16) EUR 1.30.
Price includes visit to both caves. 
|Classification:||Karst cave, horizontal cave, Malm|
|Dimension:||L=91m, A=680m asl|
|Guided tours:||L=55m, D=15min.|
|Accessibility:||Not accessible, steep trails and many stairs.|
Wilfried Rosendahl, Matthias Lopez Correa, Christoph Gruner, Gerd Polikeit (1999):
Die Gutenberger Höhlen,
Grabenstetter höhlenkundliche Hefte, Nr. 2, ARGE HuK Grabenstetten, Grabenstetten.
|Address:||Ortschaftsverwaltung Gutenberg, Hauptstraße 14, 73252 Lenningen-Gutenberg, Tel: +49-7026-7822 (Mon 15-17, Tue-Fri 9-12). E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1890||discovered by Karl Gußmann.|
|1890 and 1891||excavations by Karl Gußmann.|
|MAY-1891||opened to the public|
|1891||first electric lighting was stopped after a few weeks because of technical problems.|
|2006||renovation of electric light and trails.|
|2007||cave closed because of dangerous rockfall.|
|2008||reopened after cliff face was stabilized.|
This cave was named after Karl Gußmann, a founding member and the first chairman of the Schwäbischer Höhlenverein (Swabian Cave Club). He was the priest of the nearby village Gutenberg and one of the first cave explorers on the Swabian Jura. But his interests were mainly archaeology and palaeontology.
During excavations in the nearby Gutenberger Höhle he discovered this new cave about 200m away. In the same year and the following year he made excavations in this cave and found mammoth teeth.
The cave has little speleothems, but prior to the development it had some spots with nice calcite crystals. Those minerals are exhibited in the Heimatmuseum at Kirchheim unter Teck.
The cave was restored some years ago with refurbished electric light. Then it was discovered, that there are loose rocks on the cliff above, and so the cave was closed because of the danger of rockfall. The cliff is not unstable, so it was fixed and the cave was reopened in 2008.